How to Fix Epic Games Launcher Not Opening
Epic Games is a powerhouse in the PC-gaming scene, with offerings like Unreal Engine and more recently, the cultural sensation that is Fortnite. The game has entirely taken the gaming community by storm, gaining a massive following and an even bigger fan-base, which is why it is puzzling that Epic games chose to deliver it through the infamously buggy and clunky Epic Games Launcher. In this guide, we will cover the solution to one surprisingly common issue; How to solve the Epic Games Launcher not launching.
This specific problem has been showing up with varied forms, with some players reporting that their Epic games Launcher initializing but not opening, while others state that, in their instances, the Epic Games launcher doesn’t open at all, failing even to post the icon on the notifications tray. However, despite how this error manifests, the result is no Fortnite, which we can’t let slide. Also, many of these issues arise after updating windows, which leads to the belief that it results from a conflict with windows.
READ ALSO: How to Delete Epic Games Launcher
Read on to find our different solutions to fixing epic games launcher not opening. Before embarking on the following solutions, try to eliminate the usual suspects by updating your video-card drivers, sound-card drivers, and the redistributables. If these don’t work, however, follow the solutions below:
Solution 1: Running with different privileges
This solution is quite possibly the most hassle-free option available for this particular error. To proceed with this solution, navigate to the installation of the buggy epic games launcher and right-click on it. Alternatively, you can right-click on the icon short cut and choose “Run as administrator.” Proceed to confirm on the resulting prompt and input the administrator account password if required. Check if this solves your issue.
If the issue is still not resolved, right click on the shortcut and follow these steps below:
- Click on “Properties” and select the “Compatibility” tab.
- Under “Compatibility mode”, click on the “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” checkbox and choose “Windows 7” from the drop-down menu.
- Then under “Settings”, check the “Reduced color mode” box and select the “8-bit (256) color” mode from the drop-down menu.
- Check if your issue is resolved.
If none of the above resolved your issue, proceed with the following alternative.
Solution 2: Edit the execution path
This solution has been recommended by a sizable majority of users facing the epic games launcher not opening issue as well. Just follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the launcher shortcut.
- Choose “Properties”
- In the target field, at the very end, hit Space and type “-OpenGL”
- Click “Apply”. The path, if the launcher is installed in the default location, should look something like this: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Binaries\Win32\EpicGamesLauncher.exe”-OpenGL
Check if this resolves your epic games launcher not opening issue
Hopefully, this guide on how to fix epic games launcher not opening has been helpful. For other tips, tricks and gaming hacks, check out some of our articles on the site.