Dark Souls 3 White Screen Crash Fix
The Dark Souls 3 white screen crash is common to people playing the game on an underpowered PC or if your game is finding some incompatible configurations in your system. Since gaming rigs are so varied, we are going to give you a couple of ways to fix the Dark Souls 3 white screen of death regardless of whether you are getting the white screen with curser or a non-responsive screen.
Here are simple fixes you should try before venturing into the deeper white screen on startup fixes we will explain below.
- Adjust the game resolution to below 1080p. This might help if your system is struggling to load the game
- Disable SLI and run the game on a single graphics card
- Wait for the white screen with cursor and then click the mouse once. This will bring up the spinning/waiting donut. After w while, you will get the prompt to quit or wait for the program to respond. Hit wait and if you are lucky, the game will load
If the above quick fixes didn’t cure your Dark Souls 3 white screen on start problem, below are other detailed solutions you should try.
Launch on Integrated Graphics
This solution seems to work well to systems with integrated graphics and a discrete Nvidia graphics card. This solution first launches the game on your CPU graphics, shuts down the game and then uses the Nvidia control panel to revert handling to the discrete gaming card.
Here is how to do this:
- Right click on the desktop and launch Nvidia Control Panel
- Go to Manage 3D settings > Programs Settings and select darksouls.exe
- If it isn’t there, add it to the system
- Set preferred graphics to ‘Integrated Graphics’
- Launch the game successfully
- Go to the game’s menu and set it to fullscreen and choose a resolution (preferably 1080p or below)
- Quit the game
- Open Nvidia Control Panel once more and revert graphics control to Nvidia Processor (Follow steps 2 to 3 only this time change graphics to Nvidia from Integrated graphics)
Editing the xml Config File
Sometimes, your game will fail to launch on the integrated graphics card meaning that you cannot edit the game’s resolution. In this case, you can fix the white skill of death by editing these settings outside the game.
All you have to do is access the Graphicsconfig.xml file and change a couple of lines.
Remember to create a backup of the file just in case you mess things up when making the changes. You can also create a game save backup just to be on the safe side.
The file in question can be found at:
Open it with your favorite text editor. I prefer notepad++ since it has decent search and code highlighting features.
Once open, look for the following settings and modify them to match the following
Shadow Quality = medium
antialiasing = off
Movement Blur = off
SSAO = Medium
If you are still having trouble launching the game, you can change this one more line
The best way to enjoy Dark Souls 3 is by ensuring it you are running it on a PC that is within the recommended minimum specs. This will give you the freedom to enjoy the game and hunt for all DS3 hidden trophies or achievements without any fuss.
Did the above solutions work for you? Let us know in the comments section below!